Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Who knew deciding on a headboard would be so hard?

I love upholstered headboards.  A few years ago I fell in love after seeing one online that was a antique french wooden headboard that an amazing DIY blogger upholstered herself.  I contemplated for awhile making my own but finally after a couple years decided to buy one.  When I purchased the one I currently had there were not as many options as there are now, and not to many in my price range.  I saw a lot of gorgeous headboards but most of the ones I loved were well over 1000 up to 3000 for a king size.  I ended up ordering just a headboard, my budget was $350 at the time.  I looked on craigslist for used ones, but never fell in love with one, or they would be gone by the time I contacted the seller.  I knew I wanted tufting, and I wanted nail head trim.  At the time I loved the wingback look but this was hard to find with the nail heads and also they were expensive.

I have seen a lot of people get these headboards this passed year.  Some of my favorite blogs to read have gone and ordered ones so I love to see their reviews on the quality, also the prices.  I ended up loving my headboard, but then my husband and I went a totally different direction with our bedroom.  We ordered a chocolate brown because our room was blue and brown.  I had purchased new bedding in a purple, burgundy, gold and chocolate color palette but after much debate on a paint color my husband and I fell in love with a gray paint from Benjamin Moore.  We ended up painting the room, the adding crown molding then the headboard just didn't go.  Sure I could keep the darker bedding but I really want a fresh and light room with some soft but colorful accents.  Not a dark gloomy feeling room.  We only have one window in our master bedroom, it is a huge sliding door that goes out to our pool and lake view but the room can tend to feel dark when it isn't bright and sunny out.  I feel dark is depressing and really want a romantic, happy, resort like feeling room.

I have written all this before so let me stop myself from rambling and cut to the chase, lol.  Hubby told me that I can go ahead and order the dream bed now.  He sees that it just doesn't match and he really likes the gray headboards I have shown him.  Now the big deal is which one?  I have feel for one style bed, but there are several versions of it out there.  They all have the same wingback shape, button tufting and nail head trim, and also look pretty much the same but I have read reviews that some have the nail heads that are not individual that are the strip where ever so many are a real nail head and the rest are just plastic strips to look like nail heads, I don't like this I feel it makes it look cheap.  Also there is linen or velvet (microfiber) material.  I have a velvet headboard now and it is a hair/dust magnet but I love the texture.  I also have seen linen ones and I think they look classy.  Then there is the tufting, some have diamond tufting, which I like better where the others have just a solid square, which doesn't look as plush to me and seems cheap looking almost.  This is so confusing.  I am going to share the photos below of the ones I have been looking at.  I would love to hear opinions, or if you own one of these beds or headboards let me know what you like or dislike.  I had so many places that popped to buy them from that it was confusing trying to remember which bed was from which site, so I ended up going to Amazon.com and found most of the ones I have been looking at one Skyline, Wayfair, Joss and Main and One King's Lane websites.  I also found one on google images but can't find where to buy it at=(.  I like the shape of this bed more then the other but it is pretty much the same.  So let's get to the photos so you can see what I mean by how similar they all are lol.

My favorite, this is the Diamond Tufted in velvet from Hayneedle.com at this one costs $1000 for the full bed, not just headboard and shipping.


Love the shape of the one above but can't find it in a King size anywhere only queen.  No price for this one.


Found this one for under $600 with shipping for the full King size bed with shipping on Amazon.com but it is missing my nail heads that I love.


This is similar to my favorite, first photo on top that is velvet, but this one is linen and also you can see it doesn't have the diamond tufting pattern it is flatter and boxier looking right?  This linen version, with nail head trim with regular tufting is $752 on Amazon.com with free shipping for entire bed.  It has also been on Joss and Main, One King's Lane, Skyling and Wayfair.com websites.  This seems to be very popular I have seen it on a few of my favorite bloggers posts for bedroom makeovers.  I how ever like the diamond tufting a lot better, I think it makes the headboard look more elegant and expensive.


This is the same as the one above but in velvet instead of linen.  You can find this one on Amazon.com also for $594.  That is a great price, if only it had diamond tufting and the gray color wasn't so light.


Here is the one I am thinking about, it isn't velvet like my first choice, but then again it is more affordable then the velvet.  I also think linen would be less of a lint/hair attracter so may stay nicer.  It has the diamond tufting, nail head trim and is also on Amazon.com for $752 with free shipping.  Same price as the one without the diamond tufting, but I feel this one looks more elegant and expensive then the one with just the plain tufting that looks like boxes.  I think the diamond tufting makes it look softer and more plush.


I think this is going to be the one everyone=).  Just now which color, the gray or charcoal?  I like that darker charcoal gray because my walls or a lighter gray, but will it be too dark, I am trying to keep the room lighter.  I have two kids and a cat so I also think about the lighter gray showing stains or dirt easier.  I will let you all know which one I decide on because when I get back from vacation hubby is going to order it for me.  I can't wait.  I already have my old headboard up for sale.  If anyone is interested I have photos on my blog.  I purchased it from Hayneedle around a year ago and paid around $350-400 for it.  It is in excellent, brand new condition still.  It is chocolate brown with brushed gold/brass nail head trim.  King size headboard only.  It attaches to any bed frame easily though.  When you add a bed skirt it looks like you have the entire bed but at half the price.  Only reason I decided to get the entire bed because the first time I wanted an upholstered headboard so bad that I went with the less expensive option, with most of what I was looking for because I was inpatient and couldn't wait to get one, this time around my budget is a lot larger so I have decided I want to be smart and get one that is not super expensive, I am still frugal lol, but make sure I get everything I wanted=).

Let me know what you think and I love to have feedback on your thoughts of which style and material you like or prefer.  Thank you for reading.


1 comment:

  1. I think you have picked the right one. I have the one without the diamond tufting and I love it but when I saw the one with the diamond tufting I wished I had seen it before I ordered mine. I got mine in feb from Joss and Main, I settled on this one. I really wanted a velvet one and I wanted something a little more rounded at top like you have mentioned in previous posts. I couldn't pass up the fabulous price and in the end it is a gorgeous headboard for the price. Mine doesn't have individual nail heads it has the strip like you mentioned, also I was hoping mine would be bigger but in the end I love it and get tons of compliments from friends. I do think you picked the right one and I never thought when I wanted a velvet one about the hair and dust now I'm glad I ordered linen. I think you should go with the diamond tufted in linen gray. Can't wait to see the photos of the finished room. I'm sure it will look fabulous. Love your blog, it is nice how you cover so many topics from fitness, beauty, fashion, sales, home decor, mom talk and more. I really enjoy it. Have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete