Monday, October 9, 2017

Style Secret: How to keep Off the Shoulder tops and dresses in place

Stylist Secret

How to keep Off the Shoulder Blouses and Dresses in place...




For sometime now off the shoulder tops have been in style and the hottest spring and summer trends. Even breaking out of those seasons and into the fall/winter months with off shoulder sweaters or long sleeve tops. Back 2 summers ago I got huge into off the shoulder tops and dresses but had an issue with the elastic always rolling up or ending up with an on the shoulder look. Not what I wanted and would annoy me so badly I ended up not wearing a lot of these cute new stylish pieces I had invested in. After finally being in the brink of listing all my off the shoulder pieces, no matter how much I loved the style and thought they were cute, on eBay I decided to turn to google to see what other ladies were trying or doing to keep their tops off the shoulder. 





I came across a few Pinterest links to other bloggers pages that had recommendations for adding an elastic from the craft department and sewing into the top, then found some who used fashion tape, but I didn't want to alter my tops permanently or damage them. Especially since I tend to resell some of my items down the road if they are a piece I'm not wearing often. I also invest in a lot of higher end brands with very delicate fabrics and didn't want to ruin any of them. I wanted an idea to use household items I already had that would be a quick temporary fix. I finally was thinking about it and decided to try using rubber bands and a small safety pin. It worked much to my surprise but the rubber from the bands irritated my skin. 

After thinking about it once again I decided to try my daughter's hair ties. One wasn't long enough and at the time didn't think to interlock two together but I did however remember seeing the children's headbands made of the same material they use to make the clasp free hair ties. I ran to the Dollar store and grabbed some for babies and small children, they worked amazing. With two dollar store headbands and 4 small safety pins I had finally solved my off the shoulder tops rolling up on me dilemma. 




Just recently one of my favorite designers along with some more recent new brands I have been wearing came out with similar off the shoulder looks and while some tops have a thicker band then the addition of sleeves also helps sometimes I was still running into this issue. While trying to get ready for date night one night in spring I needed to quick fix one of my off the shoulder dresses so I took two of my daughter's hair bands, I buy all colors from Walmart and the dollar store, I love the ones in multiple shades of tan cause they match blonde hair so you don't the band. I found two tan color bands for each side, four all together then simply interlocked the two bands together by simply sliding one onto the other, using the same tiny size safety pins I found the seam in the top of the dress where the material meets and being careful not to puncture all the way through to the front of the fabric, I pinned the small safety on each side. You want to make sure you do this in the seam where the material is reinforced and thicker, also want to make sure to not go all the way through to the front so you don't see the pin. When matching your hair bands with the fabric or going with nude, white or black they are less likely to be seen, but as you can see I was in a rush when my last Spell order arrived to wear my new off the shoulder rose water blouse from their Lion Heart collection so I used black, you can not generally see these cause when you put the blouse or dress on you slip your arms inside the band so the hair tie goes under your arm like a strap but instead of over the shoulder you go under the armpit. 





This works so good, you can lift your arms, dance, carry your children, take a selfie, basically anything you want and the top will no longer slip up off your shoulders or roll. It is the most amazing tip I have ever seen or heard of so I had to share with all of you. Again for one garment can be a blouse or dress any off the shoulder style tops, you will need 4 safety pins one for each side of each arm, then depending on what you want to use for your band you can either use 4 hair ties in coordinating or nude color, 2 longer headband style bands, or you can even purchase elastic at the fabric store and simply clip that into place also. 

What are you waiting for I'm sure just like me you have purchased at least a couple of these cute styles or have been considering it. Go grab some hair ties and safety pins so you can finally rock those stylish, trendy off the shoulder looks with no more hassle or headache. 







Hope this helps everyone with the dilemma of off the shoulder tops rolling off or up, now you can wear those styles that you have sitting in your closet or dreamed of wearing. I thought this was a trend that would maybe last a spring and summer for a year maybe two but we are going into 3-4 years of them being pretty hot. Spell has a lot of new styles that have recently been released or coming out, and Target, Express, you name it all the stores from low to high, designer to small online shops are designing and stocking these cute pieces. Even the winter and fall looks are off the shoulder. I have a cute orange off the shoulder sweater I got a couple of years ago for thanksgiving and just bought another off the shoulder sweater and 2 sweatshirts. Those seem to be easier to wear cause the fabric of the long sleeves on a sweater or sweatshirt are heavier but I got a long sleeve white and chambray striped top at Kohl's back in Dec/Jan that needed the adjustment to make it just right. 




Happy altering and showing off your shoulders. Hope my photos are helpful and if you have any questions please feel to email me or comment below. Peace love and light always. Melissa xoxo 

Where to shop my looks: 


Blue off shoulder dress and ivory off shoulder blouse are from:

https://quiqui.com.au/




4 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post, I have always wondered how models and bloggers keep their tops with off shoulder elastic in place, all mine roll up. I get so annoyed. Trying this out now will let you know how it works for me. Do I wear the hair band under my arm? Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I have to try this, I have a few tops I have worn once and never worn again for this exact reason. Thank you I hope this works off to rummage up some of my kiddies hair bands and safety pins around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this blog. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you've covered so many bases. Good stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.
    khas lawn

    ReplyDelete