Friday, June 12, 2015

Summer fresh strawberry and regular lemonade recipe

My summer lemonade and strawberry lemonade recipes using simple syrup and fresh fruit.  

By Melissa



One trick I learned bar tending and key to all my mixed martini, margaritas and many other style cocktails as well as some of my non alcoholic drinks is simple syrup. You can make this with or without mint. I like mint for a little extra zest or zing but it's fabulous just sugar and water. You can also make a large amount and store it in your fridge to add to drinks whenever. I keep a little bottle of it always.  Let's get started. 



First thing to prepare is the simple syrup because this needs to chill after being boiled. 


Simple syrup recipe 

What you need:

1 cup sugar* (alternative below)

1 cup water

1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves (up to you can be made with or without I think it adds that extra something special.) 

Garnish: fresh mint leaves

1. Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and boil 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. 

Remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes. Pour liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into a airtight container, discarding mint leaves. Cover and chill 4 hours. Garnish, if desired. Syrup may be stored in refrigerator up to 1 month.

*3/4 cup sugar/no-calorie sweetener may be substituted. 

Next up after you have prepared your simple syrup you can make your lemonade or strawberry lemonade. They are both the same recipe with simple syrup only difference is I use fresh cut, into halves strawberries, that I squeeze into a bowl with sugar, all directions below. I keep everything but the green top I slice and remove. I like to let the strawberry chunks sit in the lemonade while stored in my fridge because it just keeps getting sweeter. 


Lemonade recipe 

What you need: 

Simple syrup from above recipe and mint sprigs for garnish if you like. 

Ice cubes

1 2/3 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (I use my new Lilly from Target Pineapple Juicer to squeeze my lemons.) 

1 lemon, sliced 1/4-inch thick, plus more for garnish

In a large pitcher half-filled with ice, add 2 cups water, lemon juice, simple syrup, mint, and lemon slices. Stir to combine. Serve over ice. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices when serving. 

Strawberry lemonade recipe 

Ingredients 

Simple syrup from above, mint leaves and 1-3 fresh strawberries sliced in the middle for garnish

Fresh Strawberries

1/2 cup of sugar along with some extra for garnishing rim of glass, I like to do this for guests. 

Then all the ingredients to make the regular lemonade above. 

Ice cubes

1 2/3 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (I use my new Lilly from Target Pineapple Juicer to squeeze my lemons.) 

2 cups of water 

Directions 


First you are going to have the simple syrup recipe above made and now you are going to make the strawberry sugar: 

Toss the strawberries and the 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl and let sit at room temperature until the sugar dissolves, about 45 minutes. I sometimes don't have the patience for this so I squeeze my half cut strawberries into a bowl keeping the strawberry after squeezing and placing into the bowl with the sugar and juice. Then I will add this to my lemonade. I add the entire mix of berries and sugar then use a pitcher that has the strainer side when you pour to keep large pieces from going into my glass. 

After you make the strawberry sugar mix follow the above directions to make your lemonade and simple syrup then mix it all together. 



I love to serve my lemonade in a mason jar with a little sugar on the rim garnished with a slice of lemon or stawberry on the rim and a little mint sprig floating on top. I also love paper straws, from my party and event planning days, I have lots of colors and designs. This adds just the right touch and screams southern hospitality. What better way to kick off the summer then with a kicking yummy lemonade recipe. This is my favorite summer non alcoholic beverage for sure. 



I am wearing: a tee shirt and jeans from JCrew, jewelry from Lacey Ryan, julep red polish, and my glass is a blue mason jar from Target bought in a large set then paper straws from a local baking stormi shop at but you can find these at target also. 

8 comments:

  1. CarolynbonucattiflJune 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM

    Amazing post and recipe going to make my simple syrup tonight minus the mint since I don't have any then tomorrow hitting Publix for all the ingredients to make the strawberry will let you know how it turns out. Sounds and looks amazing. Love your blog sweetie xoxo don't see why you are making a new one this one is great. I follow a lot of blogs and I think it looks fabulous. Have a fantastic weekend pretty lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed the post and yes let me know how it works out. Simple syrup and strawberry sugar mix is my secret weapons. Ty and love you Carol appreciate your support always. Xoxo ✌️❤️

      Delete
  2. Hey sweet mama love the post and I called you today to leave a message for you, I need your help with my Delray store. Doing a remodel and reset of all the clothes. I got new tees and tanks then also want to find out from you about some swimwear lines I know you shot for a couple catalogs before you left and mentioned a friend who makes suits, I need swim wear ASAP. Would like a affordable line and two higher end lines. Call me back sista! How were the dresses and goodies I sent you? I saw one in a post here or two then the kimono you always look great in everything. Love you and kisses to the girls xoxo Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy you are the best, we talked already tonight but just wanted to respond to your message just saw the approvals cause a message just came through and woke me up. Was half asleep. Ty for your support and always being so kind. I am always happy to help you with designing or buying whatever you need. So happy we met and you have been one of my best and favorite clients since we met through my design business. Dliteful Creations & Designs. I know I haven't had much time for design work since starting my styling job but I am learning so much to help even more with your stores. Visited the Pines location earlier today before we spoke and looks amazing. Ty again have a great weekend xoxo✌️❤️

      Delete
  3. I have always made a very basic lemonade using the lemon juice you purchase at the store and water, never heard of simple syrup and always wanted to try strawberry lemonade usually I would just garnish with a few fresh cut strawberries. Saw your photos on Instagram today so I decided to try this, I had most of the ingredients already but ran out for mint and strawberries along with fresh lemons. The simple syrup was so quick to make and then while that was cooking in the fridge I made the strawberry sugar, tonight I finished it and tried a glass of each wow! It's so good, the best I have ever had honestly, even my kids and hubby loved both. I felt so domesticated and like a good wife and mom making fresh lemonade. Your recipe made two pitchers one of each and I have some syrup left over for another batch. The strawberry is already all gone. I even did the super rim tagged you in my post on Instagram. Thank you for sharing and will be sure to spread the word to my followers. Checking out your blog and Instagram pics also love your page. You have amazing a style both in decor and fashion. Best of luck to you and will be checking back for more recipes and fashion/decor tips. Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, thank you for the kind words and also for the likes on IG. Super excited had singer, surfer and designer for Billabong, Lindsay Perry like, comment on my photos and follow me this evening. Made my night. I am so happy the lemonade turned out amazing for you and that your family all loved it. My kids love it also and get excited every time I make it. I make two pitchers, one of each every time and gone that day. I save the gallon bottles water comes in a make back up of the lemonade and then have a bottle of syrup and then the strawberry sugar in the fridge so when I run out I just whip it up quick. Ty again for all your support it means the world to this small time blogger that blogs for fun. I like to share my recipes, projects, ideas, creativity, photos, fashion. Decor and bargains with others. I am so happy you enjoy it that makes my weekend. Bless you and enjoy your weekend xoxo 🙌❤️

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting, made this earlier in the week and went through two large pitchers the first day of the strawberry lemonade amazing! My entire family even all my kids love this. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed my lemonade recipe. Makes me so happy to hear back from followers and readers about their thoughts. Warms my heart every comment I read. Thank you again and have a wonderful weekend xoxo ✌️❤️

      Delete