Sunday, October 2, 2022

Halloween decor dupes and diys




 Hey there everyone and happy October. I have had the craziest few weeks between getting sick then hurricane Ian recently hitting Florida. We did not get direct impact but we were on the east coast directly in the path so we did have flooding, lots of strong winds, which meant lots of clean up but in the end we are all safe and our home is safe. Right now trying to help others in our area and the state who got impacted worse. I have shared links on my IG of ways to help or donate if you would like to help others as well. 


Now for October I’m sharing some of my fave finds from online and stores we all love such as Pottery Barn, Anthro etc… I have a diy for the ever so popular internet viral terracotta Jack o lantern pumpkins. I painted mine a cream and brown color versus the terra-cotta but wanted to have the pottery finish and look of terracotta pottery with the dusted feel. I have some of these plastic pumpkins in my bins I hope to come across this week while unpacking the last of the few items I want for the Halloween decor, I would love to paint a black one and a gray one. 



Terracotta Pottery dupe Jack O Lanterns Pumpkins   

For this diy you will need 



Shop what I used 



Baking soda 

Flour 

Matte acrylic paint in the colors you want, for terracotta they sell a color called terracotta or you can use orange with a touch of cream and burgundy, also when painting my own I used brown and the brown first coat over the bright orange looked like the terra-cotta color. 

For my pumpkins I used cream and a brown color matte acrylic pant I did 2-3 coats mixed with baking soda for texture. Once complete I dusted the brown one with flour in the crevices then applied a clear matte top coat to keep the white flour intact. On the cream I plan to use brown sand or maybe brown sugar to rub into the crevices but in my photos it’s just solid cream with baking soda. 

Matte clear top coat spray paint 

If you want to make the stem longer and twisted I picked up air dry clay but since I was sick and delayed weeks I just made my mine how they were but may eventually add the cute stem.



I added the baking soda and paint doing 3 thin coats in my brown smaller one and 2 coats on the larger. The coats were thin and I had to be careful not to remove the first coats. Allow time to dry and don’t let brush dry out. 


I love how they turned out not to mention how much money was saved. I had some plastic Jack o lanterns but purchased these 2 for 14-18 from Walmart. The cost of the supplies for both cost less then one of the originals and as I said I love how mine came out the colors are more my decor style. I plan to make a coke smaller using pumpkins I have already. Great way to repurpose older decor to give it a new higher end look. 


Next up be sure to check out my next post where I will share some more dupes this time not DIY style but just items that are close matches to high end designer looks but for way less. I always love to save money to have extra cash to save  for clothes or travels and the future. 


Hope you enjoyed my diy and fun neutral Jack O Lanterns for Halloween. 


Peace love and light always 


~Melissa 


Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and LtK same user name @cr8tivewanderlust for more diys, crafts and links to shop all my fave decor, fashion and beauty finds.   


No comments:

Post a Comment